Deutsch (DE-CH-AT)English (United Kingdom)

Piesport
Piesport

Piesport was first officially mentioned in 777. However, the name probably comes from the Roman name ‘Porto Pigontio’. It is also likely that Piesport was already settled in pre-Roman times.

Piesport nowadays consists of its old part, Alt Piesport, located on the left bank of the Mosel, and the suburbs of Ferres, Niederemmel, Reinsport and Müstert. Up until the 1969 administrative reform, Alt Piesport was an independent wine-producing community with some 550 inhabitants, but despite its small size it was renowned world-wide for its Riesling wines based on the Piesport Goldtröpfchen (‘little drops of gold’).

In his ‘Mosella’ written almost 2 000 years ago, the Roman writer Ausonius described Piesport’s hillside slopes as a natural theatre open to the south. The Roman wine-pressing facility excavated there is further evidence that wine was already being produced and traded in Piesport even at that time. The discovery constitutes the largest Roman press house north of the Alps. It was discovered in 1985 – right in the middle of one of our vineyards by the way.

The Piesport hillside slope that Ausonius praised as a natural theatre is 400 metres above sea level. It keeps away the cold air from the north, and explains the special microclimate that ensures our Riesling wines are extra-special. The deciduous forest on the upper third of the hill is also extremely important for the water regime of these steep slopes, since it guarantees that the vines always have enough water – even in dry summers.

The naturally nutrition-rich weathered Devonian slate – in conjunction with sufficient humus und moderate yields – facilitates the growth of vineyard-cover crops, something that promotes great diversity of plants and beneficial animals/insects.
And you can taste the consequent result in our wines, with their fruity acid and delicate hint of sweetness.

With its 413 hectares of vines Piesport is the largest wine-growing municipality on the Mosel.
Piesport’s vineyards: Goldtröpfchen, Domherr, Falkenberg, Treppchen, Grafenberg, Günterslay.

All these individual locations are allowed to bear the designation of Piesporter Riesling. Piesporter Michelsberg wines can also come from the areas of Rivenich, Minheim, Neumagen-Dhron or Trittenheim, but Piesporter Riesling must always come originally from Piesport.

Sights of historical interest

• Roman grape-pressing house (with copy of original Roman wine press)
• Roman milestones and sarcophaguses
• Baroque church of St. Michael from 1777, very close to St. Sebastian chapel – one of the oldest
chapels on the Mosel
• The Spoarbildchen wayside shrine from 1608 and the related later chapel
• Chapels in Müstert and Reinsport
• The birth-house of Brother Eberhard (Ferres), founder of the pilgrimage church in Klausen
• Two crosses on the Michelsweg path (from about 1650), more details at Reuscher-Haart wine estate
The RH cellar ghost (appears every few weeks at the wine estate)

Leisure activities

• Hiking on the ‘Römersteig’ Roman pathway
• Well-developed cycle path along the Mosel
• Waterskiing on the Mosel directly in front of our wine estate
• Paragliding take-off site on Piesporter Berg (hill)
• Trip on Roman wine boat going past our estate (the only time you will want to pass our estate by)

Further tips can be found at Piesport's Website

 
‘The spectacle of vines … The gifts of Bacchus hold our gaze … where hilltop ridges stretching far around … rise tall with vines as in a natural theatre.’

From ‘Mosella’ by Ausonius